What is General Dentistry?
General dentistry practitioners are the dentistry equivalent of primary care providers: They serve as your top resource for preserving and improving your oral health. Covering preventative measures and restorative procedures, general dentistry involves the application of a variety of useful skills.
What Do General Dentists Do?
General dentistry is primarily focused on preventing problems from forming or becoming worse. To that end, our general dentists and their offices provide services like the following.
- Dental exams. These involve cleaning and examining the teeth to detect problems. General dentists and oral hygienists both play a role in dental exams, with the latter often handling much of the cleaning work and the former providing an expert visual inspection to determine issues.
- X-rays and other diagnostic methods. These help the dentist detect immediate issues and track changes over time.
- Restorative procedures. If problems have emerged with your teeth, your general dentist may recommend and perform restorative procedures as appropriate. Potential procedures include root canals, fillings, and crowns. Our general dentist may also remove badly damaged teeth and provide denture services, and they may handle certain gum procedures as well.
- Referrals. In some cases, an issue may call for treatment from a specialist such as an orthodontist (for bite-related issues) or periodontist (for advanced gum care). If that applies to your situation, our dentist will point you in the right direction.
- Advice and care-plan forming. Everyone’s mouth is unique, and a big part of our general dentist’s job is providing personalized advice on oral care to each patient.
How Often Should I See a General Dentist?
It’s important to see our general dentist here at Dakota Ridge Dental regularly, even if nothing seems to be amiss. That’s because problems like plaque buildup may not be obvious to you at first, but they may cause issues if left undetected and untreated. A standard recommendation is for people to visit their dentist twice a year for checkups, but more or fewer visits may be appropriate, depending on your situation. For instance, if you have preexisting gum disease or are a smoker, you may want to see the dentist more often. We can work with you to set up an appropriate, personalized schedule.
With that said, there are some situations in which you should deviate from the schedule and see your dentist as soon as possible. Warning signs that you need to visit our dentist include bleeding when you brush or floss, unusual oral legions, and loose or painful teeth. If in doubt, call our dentist’s office for advice.
How Do I Find a General Dentist?
Because a general dentist can be such an excellent ally to you and your oral health, taking the time to find the right one is worth it. Dakota Ridge Dental is your best option when looking at low-cost/high-quality care for you and your family. Our dental team is here to help you keep your smile healthy.
Is a General Dentist Right for You?
If you are in need of dental care, contact our office and schedule an appointment with our general dentist in Littleton today.